As promised I return with a recipe for one of my recent detox dinners. In my previous post on the matter -link, I went on for a bit about changing habits, getting healthier, and in the process of doing so, obtaining that gorgeous glowing skin you feel you used to have up until December 21st.. This soup was the first meal on my detox schedule, and as it turned out to be rather tasty, I'd love to share this super easy recipe with you.
Detox and beauty benefits of Red Cabbage and Spinach:
- The chlorophyll in spinach aids in cleansing the colon. Chlorophyll also helps to eliminate toxins from the body, especially carcinogens which are able to cause cancer.
- Spinach contains lutein, which keeps your eyes healthy and sparkling. Spinach is also a good source of vitamins B, C, and E, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamins C, A and B1. It is also rich in fiber, calcium, potassium, iodine, phosphorus, sulfur and sodium.
- Cabbage contains glutamine, an amino acid that helps detoxify the digestive track and strengthen the immune system. It is high in antioxidants and sulforaphane, both of which protect against cancer.
- Red cabbage, especially, is rich in phytonutrients that protect your body from free-radical damage. It has a higher vitamin C, manganese, folic acid and magnesium content than the other green and white varieties.
This soup will be enough to fill the hungry bellies of 2-3 people, or one Rolah, also known as "the wolf that was never full".
1/3 of a small cabbage: thinly sliced
1/2 purple onion - thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic - pressed or finely chopped
2 handfuls of baby spinach
4-5 Small aroma mushrooms (although any mushroom would do) - cut into halves
Some fresh ginger - I used approx half a fingertip (at a lack of a better word)
1 tbs of crushed flax seeds
1 tsp of chili flakes
1 tsp of black pepper
2 bay leafs
The juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 cube of organic vegetable stock
A pinch of salt
- Fry the vegetables, and spices in a tbs of olive oil, except the spinach, garlic and ginger which I like to add later for a more punchy flavor.
- When the onions and cabbage are getting soft, add approx 800-1000ml water, depending on how big your pot is, and how watery you like your soup.
- Bring to the boil, and add stock cube, garlic, ginger, lemon juice and flax seed.
- Let simmer until vegetables are soft, but not overcooked, 6-7 min. Right at he end add the spinach and turn them, to let them barely cook before serving.
- Serve with an extra squeeze of lemon to taste.
And there you have a it a great immune booster, detoxer, winter comforter and anti-aging skin treat!
- DETOX - will it make me beautiful? (rokderm.com)