In the increasingly confusing world of cosmetics, it might be hard to keep track of all the products you should be using in order to take best possible care of your skin. In my opinion, serums are one of those things, if not THE thing, after an SPF of course. I started using serums a couple of years ago, after I started using sunscreens, and wanted something light and fast absorbed to use under.
First of all, what is a Skin- Serum anyway?
1. Serums are skin care products with high concentrations of certain active ingredients. These ingredients can be things like Retinol (to reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles), vitamin C and other antioxidants (antioxidant post) (to brighten the skin and help reduce the appearance of pigmentation and age spots, and aging) or glycolic acid (an exfoliant to help firm, and rejuvenate), to name just a few of the ingredients often used in serums.
2. The main difference between a serum and moisturizer, is that a moisturizers will keep the skin hydrated by putting a protective barrier between it and the outside.
3. Serums are formulated to reach deep withing the skin, crossing the layers of it to deliver skin-actives and cell nutrients deeper than what a moisturizer is able to.
How to use a serum:
Skin serums should be applied on a clean face, that is slightly damp, so directly after washing or after a toner. Then, wait a few minutes until the serum is absorbed before you apply your moisturizer, or sunscreen or both. That will allow you to lock in, prevent evaporation of the serum, and increase the benefits of the serum.
Serums should be chosen based on your specific skin concern, as most serums are created as a skin solution to one problem in particular, be it wrinkles, acne or dehydration.
I'll get back to how to choose a serum in a different post, as part of the answer to a ROKer question. Until then, here are a few of my tried and tested favorites:
1. John Master's Organics Antiaging Vitamin C serum - £32 feelunique.com
2. Caudalie Vinexpert Firming serum. Now on sale at £40,50 feelunique.com