I've been looking for a perfect "the-day-after face-mask", alternatively the "night-of-prep product", that could also function as a means to pump my face back to life when in London. And lets face it, anything that promises glow and a flash of energy spontaneously finds its way into my shopping basket, no reason necessary. The PAYOT Réveil Éclat Energizing face-mask became victim to this skin-glowing-product-fetish, and I'm very glad it did.
"Ease uncomfortable tension and soothe fatigued skin with Payot Les Revitalisantes Masque Reveil Eclat – Flash Energizing Care, a fast-acting blend of powerful ingredients that bring comfort to stressed out skin. Blended with spices and mint for extra benefits, this mask will restore luminosity and radiance back into your complexion. After a few minutes your skin will have left any signs of daily strain behind."
I haven't tried anything from PAYOT before, but I know it's French (good), and after a little bit of research (just now, on google), I found that it was created by a Dr Nadia Payot in 1913, who after meeting Anna Pavlova, (the Russian ballet dancer, that also has a dessert named after her..) was inspired to develop a line of beauty products for each skin-type, and a beauty philosophy based on movement (exercise) - post about skin & exercise.
13 Active Ingredients:
1. Cocoa and Shea Butter: Please have a look at my post on the effects of Cocoa and Shea butter in my previous post- here
2. Sesame seed oil: Sesame seed oil contain Linoleic acid, and applied to our skin, linoleic acid aids the effect of antioxidants, and works as a moisturizing, and an anti-inflammatory agent. Oleic acid, another main component of sesame seed oil, has been shown to upregulate antibacterial properties of the sebocytes (the oil producing cells of the skin), resulting in increased defense and regulation of the bacterium Propionibacterium acnes, which is a causative agent in the development of inflammatory acne vulgaris, the most common skin disease, afflicting up to 80% of individuals throughout their lives (Nordstrom et al., 1986; Chronnell et al., 2001; Bojar and Holland, 2004).
3. Wheat Protein: Although not great for the skin when eaten, wheat protein applied topically can have pore-minimizing effects, as well as functioning as a humectant (meaning it helps the skin retain water/moisture).
4. Allantoin: A compound found in Comfrey Root. Allantoin is an anti-inflammatory agent, great for most skin types, especially breakout prone and sensitive skin.
5. Orange fruit water and orange peel extract: Condition, soften and hydrate the skin.
6. Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate: A stable form of vitamin C. Vitamin C is one of the main antioxidants for the skin, it is a scavenger of free radicals, it suppresses melanin production and so brightens the skin, it also triggers collagen production by fibroblasts and thereby increases skin firmness, it has been associated to increased wound healing in rats and provides UVB protection.
7. Sodium Hyaluronate: Binds water within the skin, and thus plumps up its appearance, evening out wrinkles, and gives a youthful face. As we age, we loose more of our naturally occurring hyaluronic acid, so products that provide a little extra are a good investment.
8.Tochopheryl acetate: As an antioxidant, vitamin E acts as a radical scavenger, preventing the propagation of free radicals in tissues. As it is fat-soluble, it is incorporated into cell membranes, which protects them from oxidative damage.
9. Royal Jelly extract: Upregulates the skin-cells of healing wounds, so to speed up the process, and has also been attributed to induce collagen production. -link
10. Ginseng root extract: Ginseng root has long been used in traditional Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory, and has been attributed to have positive effects on skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, wound healing and other inflammatory diseases. A recent study concludes that the topical application of ginsenoside Rb1 isolated from red ginseng roots enhances wound healing after burns, and ginsenoside Rb1 prevents chronic UVB-induced skin photoaging, at very low doses. Exciting I think! -link
11. Peppermint leaf extract: Peppermint Leaf Extract is considered to have antiseptic and antibacterial qualities. It is also used for cooling and refreshing the skin, while its astringent properties help to tighten the pores for a more refined skin appearance.
12. Cardamom seed extract: Antibacterial, and antioxidant properties that have been shown to decrease skin cancer load and cancer progression on mice. -link
13. Black pepper extract: Antioxidant properties, stimulant, and an agent that might decrease occurrence of UV induced skin-cancers -link
For more on the spices that do the skin most good, have a look -here.
Personal use and opinion:
This face mask has a gel like consistency, and smells faintly of cocoa and oranges, which is rather nice, and expected according to the ingredient list. You slob on a thick layer, and let it absorb for around 5 minutes, before you tissue off the excess.
I instantly noticed an added brightness and glow, and my face was wonderfully moisturized after. There's no need for an added moisturizer. I did leave it on for about 15 minutes once (trying to increase it's effectiveness) which ended in an orange face that had to be properly cleansed with warm water, after which the same glow was not as spectacular as after my first (and proper) try of 5 min.
This is a great face-mask before a night out, or after one.. Comparing this to my Caudalie Enzymatic Face mask - review, I think this gives a more instant result, and due to the presence of cocoa and shea-butter, might be a better option for dryer skin tones.
It's got a rather extensive list of natural active ingredients (13!!) As well as other moisturizing and conditioning agents. I'm starting to see why PAYOT has done so well, and been around for so long.
For my normal/dehydrated skin this is a great perk-me-up-product that I'm very happy to have, especially here in London, where pollution and and late nights take their toll on my face.
Get yours here: Payot Masque Reveil Eclat Flash Energizing Care 75ml/2.5oz