In my Wednesday post I mentioned a video on skin goddess Jennifer Lopez, in which she dishes out her ultimate beauty secrets. This is not the first time I've googled Jennifer Lopez and beauty secrets in the same sentence, I have major skin-envy of her flawless complexion, and I'm always interested to hear what she has to say about all matter skin and beauty. Jennifer only seems to get more radiant as she ages, I love that, it's amazing, and I want it.
The truth is, it's no real secret, but hardcore discipline that's given her the youthful skin she has. She lives extremely healthy, and takes good care of her skin from the inside out, both physically and mentally.
Breakdown of J.Lo's secrets:
- She drinks water: All day, everyday. This helps your body keep hydrated, but doesn't necessarily moisturize your skin, as many believe. When you're well hydrated you will however look more plump, and perky as hyaluronic acid in skin has more water molecules available for binding. Water also helps flush out metabolic waste, and makes you feel less hungry.
- She does not drink alcohol or smoke. This is major. I've touched upon the negative effects of smoking on skin earlier. Alcohol is a diuretic, meaning it will make you get rid of water and so more easily get dehydrated. I've also read that she stays away from sugar at all costs. Something ROKderm has written about before, and more than once. After UV-radiation and smoking, sugar is a major cause of early aging, wrinkles and inflammatory skin conditions.
- Staying out of the sun. She says she didn't take sun at all in her 20s and 30's, which is another major reason to her beautiful skin. Read more on this topic here.
- Sleep. She gets enough of it. I also love that she prefers 11 hours, a woman after my sleepy heart. Our bodies and skin use the hours at night for regeneration and repair, another vital step for healthy beautiful skin.
- Affirmations and meditation. This is something I need to work on. I do believe that feeling happy, lowering stress, and cultivating that carefree beauty mode is essential to long living, and youth. How many times have we not looked at our selves when we're in that extra bleak corner, and just looked terrible? Stress will also age you, it will. There's science to back that, so keeping stress at bay will ultimately not only make you look better for longer, but also feel better while you're at it.
- Protein. She eats a protein shake filled with berries, Greek yogurt and some honey every morning. This is a super-food cocktail that will support weight loss, as well as lowering inflammation and aging of your body and skin. I can vouch that this really works, and fast.
I hope you found this as interesting as I did! I'm off to make a shake. :)