There are a few things you should try to do, and not to do in order to limit subcutaneous damage to surrounding tissues and preventing spread of infection.
- Make sure your pimple is "ripe" before popping. Meaning, look for a white or yellow top.
- Clean face and hands before commencing.
- Warm the area of the pimple with a warm/hot moist cloth or cotton pad, leave on for a couple of minutes. This ensures that the pore will open maximally before you attempt to pop. You may also do this after a bath, shower or steam sauna session.
- Don't use your finger nails. This can cause tissue damage and scarring of the surrounding tissue. Instead, use two cotton pads, or facial wipes of your choice.
- When the deed is done, swipe the area with an antibacterial and pore closing toner, preferably one that contains Salicylic acid. This prevents infection, scarring and limits the recurrence of a pimple.
There you have it! My 5 tips to make pimple popping easier and more skin-safe.