As I mentioned in my Favourite exfoliator post, the iS CLINICAL Active Serum has fast become my go to product for a fast skin fix. I was introduced to this product by NOSCOMED, who I collaborate with regarding the Silhouette Soft lift. Apparently iS CLINICAL is a very popular skincare range in the US, but it is still very new here in Scandinavia.
Although it is called a "serum" it is used as a stand alone exfoliator and nighttime treatment. It is gentle enough to be used by most skin types, and does not give any of the common annoying effects of acid treatments, such as flaky skin or irritation. I'll get to my reasons for loving it soon. But first things first.
Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Glyceryl Polyacrylate, Butylene Glycol, SD Alcohol 30, Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry) Extract, Triethanolamine, Arbutin, Salix Alba(Willow) Bark Extract, Polyporus Umbellatus (Mushroom) Extract, Menthol, Phenoxyethanol.
- Butylene Glycol: A humectant some might not like seeing on the ingredient list, due to the fact that it's a petroleum derived product. It is however considered perfectly safe. In skincare it works as humectant - a moisture attractor. There are other ingredients that might be a better choice than this though, but still, not harmful and conditioning.
- Suger cane extract: A natural, exfoliator, rich in AHA's, specifically glycolic acid. Studies also point to antioxidant properties of this ingredient.
- Bilberry extract: Used for a number of ailments, has antioxidants og UV protective properties on skin.
- Arbutin: Skin lightening and brightening ingredient.
- Willow bark extract: Willow bark is an anti-inflammatory agent that is naturally rich in Salicylic acid, a BHA that unclogs pores, fights acne and is antibacterial.
- Mushroom extract: Natural skin lightening agent, also rich in antioxidants.
I like this product because of the beautiful effects. It is a very mild but effective skin calming and exfoliating product. Anti ageing wise you might get more for your buck by buying a pure acid product, but for congested, inflamed and generally unhappy skin this is a great choice. I used this through a time when my skin was super stressed, and it instantly calmed down breakouts, while giving a healthy glow sans irritations.
I would however like a little more exfoliation, and would perhaps switch out the Butylene glycol, but otherwise it is close to a perfect exfoliator for more or less all skin types, even dry and sensitive, which is a great accomplishment.