I've started drinking a cup of hot lemon and ginger brew in the morning. Or to be honest I try to drink a cup every morning, its more like every other day. You might argue that the timing is not the best for healthy turnarounds, barely 2 weeks before Christmas, but I figure, I might as well try to incorporate some balance in my life before sugar and fat take over my very existence.
Its really an old beauty trick, and I remember my mother told me to do this way back when I was a pimply teenager, apparently it would "cleanse my blood". There are however many benefits to starting your day with a cup of lemon and ginger water.
- Aids digestion
- Reduces nausea associated with pregnancy - due to the ginger. Lemon slices can be emitted if necessary.
- Kickstarts metabolism and may help with weight loss
- Boosts immunity due to antioxidants, like vitamin C and gingerols from ginger, which has been named one of the worlds healthiest foods for decades.
- Detoxifying as it stimulates liver function after sleep
- Helps skin function due to anti-inflammatory effects of both ingredients, water helps flush out metabolic waste buildup, and vitamin C aids collagen formation.
I also really enjoy the quiet moment of a cup of warm, lemony, gingery liquid in the morning before I start my day.
How to make it: Cut 2-3 slices of lemon, and 2-3 thin slices of fresh ginger root. Place them in a cup, and pour over freshly boiled water and let steep for 3-5 minutes. If you want, take spoon and crush the slices a little so to release more juices.
Remember to drink this on an empty stomach and before you do anything, think of it as a gentle wake up call to your body.
Wishing you all a wonderful day!